Friday 31 May 2013

Stranger things have happened!

Good morning and a Happy Friday to one and all!

So this week has been strange.  Actually the last couple of weeks have been strange - life has a habit of being eventful if nothing else.

In this post I'm taking you back to The House Move.  To recap, it was all meant to be simple.  Make house lovely, have people visit, fall in love with it and then clamour to buy it.  The next phase would involve looking at half a dozen houses, finding the house of my dreams, offering way below the asking price and having it immediately accepted because I'm a nice person and the seller will know that without question.  The first part has, thus far, gone as planned, with an offer at the asking price within a fortnight which we accepted.  Phase two becomes infinitely more complicated.  So yes, I did see a house I liked quite a lot, all the boxes were ticked and we put in an offer. Ta daaaaa!  That should have been it right?  Wrong!  I had serious second thoughts, spent several nights largely without sleep and decided to withdraw the offer and the interest we had in the house.  Knowing it was the right decision relief flooded through me.  Phew!  Lucky escape.

Now, here we are two weeks later and virtually zero houses have come onto the market and we snatch at the opportunity to look at houses that don't quite fit the bill.  Tuesday's house backed onto countryside.  I tried to look past the army of slugs marching down the never ending garden and the electric fence surrounding the almost empty chicken coups.  I tried to understand that the man wanted to take his lovely cooker with him and the two wood burning stoves AND the pipes connected to the wood burning stoves.  I tried to turn a blind eye the wood chip paper and the polythene covering one of the windows but in the end I just couldn't do it!  So now I lie in bed at night imagining improvements to this house just in case we can't find the perfect house.  Over and over again it goes through my mind.  Extend the kitchen, build a downstairs toilet, put a cabin in the garden for OH's gym ........ And then in the morning, dozey from lack of sleep I look frenziedly on the internet in the vain hope that My Dream House (MDH) has appeared over night.  It never has, or at least it hasn't up until now.

Widening the search for MDH has meant a slight change in area which resulted in a quite bizarre find last night. My childhood was spent in a 1930s semi in a lovely place locally to here.  When my beloved Mum passed away towards the end of the 80s, Dad decided to build a house at the end of the garden.  Thankfully, we had a large garden or this would have been a somewhat odd idea!  Once the new house was finished we moved our belongings up the end of the garden to the new house.  I lived there for a couple of years before moving out as a 'semi grown up' (I say semi grown up because although I thought I was adult enough to live happily ever after in my own little world I was probably sadly mistaken!)  Dad lived there alone for a bit until he met my Stepmother and they lived there happily until Dad died and Stepmother sold the house.  And that was the end of the house we refer to as 2a.  Or so I thought. Last night 2a appeared on my newly widened internet search.  Just up for sale and at the high end of our price range, I looked at the photos with more than a little interest.  To cut this increasingly long tale short, I'm off to see it next week.  Will it be MDH?  It's extremely unlikely.  Is it worth a look?  Absolutely, for light relief if nothing else.

Right, I must go.  Oh and for those of you who come and read regularly, my 'glorious winning short story moment' can be viewed on the Time & Leisure website in the current edition.  They kindly call me an 'author' which feels odd because I'm yet to publish my book, but then again there is a difference between 'author' and 'published author'.  I'm pretty happy with 'author' - it sounds very special and important!  

Have a brilliant weekend full of relaxing moments and smileyness.

Blog you later, Julesy xx


No comments:

Post a Comment