Friday 31 May 2013

A walk in the park ......


HuffingtonBear and I do love a walk and today was no exception.  Although it was a really warm day and we were both worn out before we had started we bimbled off on our usual route.

And there we were, me and my dog, walking easily and with light feet around the local park in a desperate attempt (on my part) to do some exercise that doesn’t involve leaping about in an exercise class or walking for miles on the spot on a treadmill.  For HuffingtonBear of course, this is one of the joys of living with me and mine.  He gets plenty of exercise and loves a run and today, for him was just another day and just another walk.

HuffingtonBear, of late, is a bit naughty.  He has a propensity to throw himself in anything that smells revolting and has been known to chase OH around the park covered in filth.  Today he teetered on the edge of ‘throwing himself in the river’ until I yanked him back on his wheelie lead.  He also rolled about in something white, which looked like bird poo, but was in fact the white line marking for the cricket pitch.  He is a boy – he behaves like a boy!

When he’s with me it’s safer for HB to be on a lead.  He’s not dangerous, he’s not a barker, he doesn’t tear towards unsuspecting walkers, joggers or cyclists with rabid foaming mouth or terrifying glare.  He just wants to make friends.  With everyone.  With anything that moves.  Usually his attempts at friend making are more successful with humans.  This is mainly because he is completely irresistible to look at and this apparently passes other dogs by who quickly tire of his over exuberance and extreme puppyness.  Glossy coat, smiley face with tongue hanging out after a good run, extremely waggy tail and a fumbling, friendly but mostly unfit owner rambling along behind him seems generally to attract the people and not so much the dogs.  We are a smiley happy pair. 

Other dogs, however, occasionally like to intimidate HuffingtonBear.  Three huskies surrounded us yesterday, tails perked up, standing proud and galloping towards us at a rate of knots.  The Huff and I braced ourselves, only for the Huskies to stop and stare at us, like wolves assessing their prey.  So we adopted our usual stance of ‘walking off in a strop’, which I am quite good at but which HuffingtonBear needs a little practice at.  With the lead shortened right down I literally dragged my 20kg dog away from the gang of huskies.  Their owners wandered aimlessly in the other direction completely unaware of our predicament.  The gang soon had us cornered as my ‘marching off’ tactic failed. 

We tried again, my dog and me striding through them with me shouting ‘LEAVE IT’ menacingly in my best angry dog trainer voice through gritted teeth.  The huskies appeared amused and looked at us smugly before trotting alongside us until their owners realised they were almost in another postcode.  A swift whistle and the gang of three were gone, sniggering and leaving us trembling in their wake.  Well trembling is an exaggeration but they were a tiny bit intimidating I must say.

Back to today.  Unperturbed by yesterdays shenanigans with the the Gang of Three, HuffngtonBear and I began our walk as usual, him eyeing up the stream, me pulling him away, until we met Lola.  Lola is HuffingtonBear’s best friend.  Although he barely knows her I think he’s in love.  He refrains from rolling in unpleasantness, he trots alongside her, his coat positively gleams and shines and he is a complete gentleman.  He doesn’t even wee in front of her.  Instead they run about together sweetly, Lola hides in the long grass and Huffington goes and sits beside her.  Lola’s owner RUNS around the park even on inordinately hot days like today, looking the picture of glowing health and attractiveness.  I, on the other hand, am red faced and sweating slightly, having brought my raincoat (just in case), which is tied around my waist.  I am also struggling to juggle the dog paraphernalia I always saddle myself with;  poo bags, a bottle of water, Huffington’s short lead, car keys and treats for when he’s good.  Lola’s owner has a pretty pink drawstring bag slung casually over her shoulder with provisions.  Inside are Lola’s eye drops which she sits nicely for as her owner pops them into her eye and wipes away her tears.  This woman, and her dog are the epitome of calm, collected, together and organized.  I on the other hand represent haphazard, uncoordinated and disorganized with my slightly naughty and over excited dog and yet, like chalk and cheese, the dogs have fallen in love with each other.  We chat about everything and nothing as Huffington and Lola gallop through the daisies and buttercups and smile at each other.

Without warning they arrive, like a gang out of West Side Story (cue music).  I swear I hear fingers clicking as they strut towards us.  The Huskies.  They eye up the situation, they look back at their owners, oblivious as ever, and then they come closer.  They begin to gallop proudly towards us.  HuffingtonBear is clearly unsure what to do and momentarily looks a bit flustered.  I do the “LEAVE IT” command in my scariest voice several times.  Lola’s owner looks at me as if I am speaking a foreign language.   The Huskies behave as if I am not even there. Huffington and I are almost shaking, standing like a pair of lemons as the gang of three circles.  And then to the rescue comes Lola the springer spaniel, flying majestically out of the long grass and barking with just enough force to get her point across.  The Huskies are taken aback.  They look at one another not sure what to do.  She stops beside Huffington and barks once more. ‘Sod off’ she says.  Huffington gives a little added bark as if to say ‘Yeah.  What she said’.  The Huskies retreat and Lola saves the day.

Me and Lola’s owner say goodbye and both her and Lola run off together.  Huffington and I walk in the other direction, him panting slightly and me sweating slightly.  I resolve to leave my raincoat at home tomorrow and to buy a drawstring bag for ‘our things’.  I’ll draw the line at wearing my good trainers though and will stick with my scruffy walking shoes – no point in running before you can walk eh?! x


2 comments:

  1. BLOODY FANTASTIC BLOG JULES....AS EVER...YOU BRIGHTEN MY MISERABLE WORKING DAY X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much whoever you are! x

    ReplyDelete