Friday 14 June 2013

You really do learn something new every day


Ever judged a book by its cover?  Of course you have.  In fairness we are probably encouraged to.  Don’t authors, literary agents and publishers all spend a great deal of time with creative types mulling over the perfect cover for each ‘to be’ published masterpiece?  Possibly.  So when you see the cover of a book that appeals, are you not just compelled to pick it up and have a sneaky peek?  Absolutely.

Tonight I judged a book by its cover – well not a book exactly but a person.  This evening I attended my very first ‘writers group meeting’.  Having recently won a competition with my first ever attempt at a short story I was kindly invited to become a member of our local group.  Minutes after having walked into the room at the aptly named ‘Friends Meeting House’ I felt most welcome.  I sat myself beside the unsuspecting Jane, whom I managed to monopolise for at least part of the evening.

A hush descended as a young woman entered the room.  Now I must confess that having only been given her name shortly before the meeting I had only managed to do a quick Google search of her.  Writer Sam Mills was to join us.  A successful author of young adult fiction, Sam had most recently written a book called ‘The Quiddity of Will Self’.  Firstly, I had no idea who Will Self was.  Secondly I had no idea what ‘quiddity’ meant.  Double whammy for me then – I was already confused and it doesn’t take much at the best of times.  I quickly read a review of the Will Self book and expected to be somewhat out of my depth.  I prepared myself to be baffled but to look as though I wasn’t.  I needn’t have worried.

So, in walked Ms Mills.  A slim girl with an open face, sensible glasses and her hair pulled back from her face.  She was wearing ordinary clothes, a cardi and optimistic summer sandals and although her most recent literary offering looked set to go completely over my head (she described it herself as ‘a bit bonkers’) she seemed relatively normal.  Until she spoke.  I was expecting ‘slightly strange’ at best based on the book review and what my mind had conjured up.  I was also expecting to be a little bored (my mind being a tiny bit closed to the possibility that ‘the unknown’ might actually be really interesting).  It was Friday night after all.  Same time last week I was watching ‘The Voice’!

Sam began telling us about her 9-year journey writing ‘Quiddity’ (I know what it means now by the way – look it up if you don’t!)  She was so engaging it was hard not to smile along with her.  I found myself listening intently and smiling at her encouragingly.  I even found myself doing that really irritating ‘head nodding’ thing that people do when they are super-engaged.  Sam was entirely fascinating, witty and likeable.  Not a bit odd.  Not even a tiny bit strange.  I decided I could sit and listen to her talk for ages.  I even began to understand where her book was coming from.  I even considered buying it for goodness sake.

As the talk came to an end I chatted for a while to some of the ladies and then found myself talking to Jane again.  I had no idea who Jane was initially, until someone mentioned her books during the evening and I then came to understand that this was Jane Davis, the winning author of the 2008 Daily Mail First Novel Award.  Jane is a successful novelist and writer and has recently published two new e-books.  Of course I didn’t get the chance to pre-judge Jane as I hadn’t expected to even meet her.  However, I found her to be completely typical of everyone I have so far encountered in the wonderful world of writing.  Really helpful, friendly and exceptionally free and open with her advice.  How lovely.

So there we have it,  I was expecting Sam Mills to be a tiny bit unusual and I guess she actually is - but in a good way.  I judged the book before I’d even seen the cover in her case and in all honesty I found her to be quite charming.

I almost didn’t go tonight but I’m so glad I did.  I have met some great new people.  I have some new books to read.  I have learned something new about people and perceptions and I have learned most definitely to not judge a book by its cover.

Julesy x

3 comments:

  1. Glad you had a lovely evening Jules. I think its human nature to have pre conceived perceptions of people or situations and stay in our nice little fluffy comfort zone of what we know. As we get older (and yes I have just crossed over into the more mature age bracket on questionnaires of 46-60!!) we are more open minded and willing to try new and different things that we previously have dismissed, often then highlighting what we have missed out on.
    New mantra, meet new people, go to new places, try new things, read different books and open your mind and life to new experiences.
    Anita xx


    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jules, Thanks for the very kind mention. I look forward to seeing you again soon. Jane

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are very welcome Jane it was so nice to meet you and I hope to see you again too. J

    ReplyDelete