Monday 24 June 2013

The randomness that is us!


OK so sorry for the delay in writing.  Last week I had a problem with my ears, which affected my hearing and balance and gave me a rotten almost week long headache.  I’m not sure whether it felt worse because the weather has been rubbish and it’s meant to be summer.  Perhaps I just felt a bit low.  No matter – back to normal (whatever that is) and raring to go this murky Monday.  This Morning is on in the background and HuffingtonBear is snoring on the sofa – life is good!

Rather than indulge in ‘weather chat’ I’ll just quickly point out that just as Summer appeared to be popping it’s head around the corner, Wimbledon has started, which of course means that it will rain on and off for the next two weeks (sad face).

So here’s a bit of an update.  Guess what?  We’re not moving.  If you remember, we had sold our house and we were trawling around the local area in search of the perfect house.  Now I must just say at this point that OH and I are a tad impatient.  We do things NOW.  We don’t spend forever thinking about something and then not do it.  Once we make up our minds we pretty much go for it.  So imagine how extremely disappointing it was to visit 20 properties and find that they were all lacking one way or another.  Apart from the fact that we couldn’t find anything we liked enough, it was craziness to even think about moving to a place not five miles down the road and into a house pretty much the same size as the one we live in for somewhere around £150K more.  If we are spending that much then it’s going to have to be a pretty little country cottage.

The estate agents, who were initially so helpful, were turning into phone pests, ringing every couple of days to ask cheerfully ‘Have you found?’  And as if that wasn’t enough someone else from their office would ring to ask every few days for details of our solicitors.  Of course we hadn’t instructed a solicitor as we hadn’t found anywhere to live.  So in the end with the pressure from the agent and the fact that we just couldn’t find the house for us, we pulled the house off the market.   This was on the Saturday morning.

Three hours later we had ordered a new oven and hob, new floor for the kitchen, new floor for the bathroom, new fabulous reclining sofas and a quote for an extension!  Like I say, when we make our minds up then we get cracking.  So, we are staying and the pressure is off.  For now.  I’m sure we will move eventually but perhaps when the boys have left home or are at least not dependent on travel to new jobs or college.  Oh and I almost forgot to mention, we decorated the dining room yesterday – I say we, I mean OH.  I sat and apparently ‘looked pretty’ (and a bit vacant if I’m honest) while he painted as if his life depended on it and than lay on the sofa at the end of the day demanding coffee, sweets and chocolate cookies.

So here I sit, waiting in for the men to fit the bathroom floor and now watching Loose Women.  Next week we have a busy week, Son#1 will be 21 and we are going on a mini jaunt to the New Forest.  We will be taking HB of course but leaving Son#1, Son#2 and Kitty McVitie at home to fend for themselves for a day or two.  Oh and again, I nearly forgot, next week is BUBLE.  I am beside myself with excitement – I do love a bit of Buble and we have the most fabulous tickets yeeeehar!

Finally, just before I go, I am now officially published.  On page 15 of Time and Leisure’s Surrey edition my winning short story Waiting For George is featured.  I am also mentioned as a ‘contributor’, which is pretty cool.  Oh and finally finally, the editor has asked me to contribute an article for one of the autumn editions – how exciting.

Blog you later,  Julesy x

No comments:

Post a Comment